Sunday, June 5, 2011

Graduation Party

I did not have a high school graduation party. Seemed kind of silly and I didn't feel like planning it [because that is what would have happened]. But now that I have graduated college, I want to have one... For entirely selfish reasons of course.

It's not for the attention or anything like that. I hate being the center of attention but I'll do it for one thing: Money. I'm milking the opportunity when I can because frankly, the next time I'll get a chance to do this would be if I were to get married. And I know that sounds terrible but think about it. I'm a relatively poor college graduate working a part-time job to pay my bills. I don't know when I'll get a job that pays me a decent amount to actually survive on. I don't want to live at home forever. And my bills are about to increase tremendously when I have to repay my student loans. Every cent counts at this point.

And so I'm planning a graduation party and the steps I'm taking to do that:

1. Pick a date and location
This requires a lot of thought and consideration. Obviously, a weekend is the most optimal day because then more of the extended family can attend. I also need a venue big enough to hold the amount of people I intend to invite. Basically, I picked a Saturday that I knew no one else had anything and I'm just gonna have it at my house.

2. Invitations and all the like
This means making the invitations including the list of all the people who are invited to this party. It means sending all this invites out to people and getting to hear back from these people. So naturally, while I put my business e-mail address down, I put the land-line down for the phone number. Cause I can't have a ton of people calling me whenever.

3. Planning the menu.
Since I'm going to be having the party at my [parents'] house, I'm going to need to think about food. We generally make them non-catered affairs. Catering costs more money than it's worth. Sticking with easy things to do, like salads and pasta-y things. Also anything we can make before hand.

4. Set up the house.
For most people, this may not be a tough thing... But we have lots of issues when it comes to our house... Well, more like the people who live in it. My dad is, for lack of a better word, kind of a hoarder. He just... brings home stuff we'll probably never use and we can never throw away anything because of some reason or another. So our down stairs is cluttered with stuff. It isn't as bad as some other places. Like the garage. We have a 2 door garage... And you couldn't even park a moped in there if you wanted to.

That's not to say I'm completely innocent. My room is a disaster zone right now. I'm sorting through millions of papers and all the stuff I've brought home from college [which could be a post of it's own right and I probably will talk about that sometime]. I also have the smallest room to boot.

Hm.... I don't really know if there is anything else I really have to think about. We'll see. I'll add them on later if there is anything else to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment