Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mentality

I don't know what I'm going to title this post... I know what I want to talk about but I just can't find a single word that can really sum it all up.

There is one thing that I've known about myself for quite some time... I rarely relate with people my own age.  I mean, I did when I was a child. I wanted pretty toys and all sorts of stuff growing up... But once I hit about 16, I had a lot of realizations. While I still wanted things, they didn't feel like a needed them much like I did as a child.

When you're a kid, all your wants feel like needs. You absolutely have to have that toy or whatever. You'll die if you don't get it. If it's not under the Christmas tree on Christmas day, you're entire Christmas is ruined.

Many times, I feel like people my own age aren't quite at my level of thinking. I just feel like they are below me mentality wise, caring mostly about superficial things. Or they don't think about money. One big issue I have is that they don't seem to understand the value of money. They blow tons of money on name brand clothes or alcohol or anything that I would consider to be fairly useless.  It's quite amazing actually.

I don't own an iPod but I know lots of people who do. And I personally think it is a giant waste of money. What is so spectacular about an iPod in comparison to any other MP3 player? Any MP3 player will do pretty much the same function as an iPod for significantly cheaper. And I know I posted about my love of music before but that does not relate in this area. I don't really own that much music. I have no need to have an MP3 player that holds 100,000 songs or something. I only have maybe 400 songs total [and maybe 250 I actually listen to]. Basically, with an iPod, you are paying more for less and that's not my mentality.

Now... This does not include the iTouch... Which if I had the money, I would buy it in a heart beat... But that is more related to my desire to have a portable internet device that is not a laptop/netbook. Not an iPhone though. I don't want one of those to be honest. I'm not big on actually calling people and what I have now [ghetto phone Virgin Mobile's ARC] is sufficient for what I want to do... Sometimes... *cough*

But back to mentality [which I've now decided to use as the title of this post]. Thankfully there are some people I can easily relate to... Older people. I just get along with them so much better than people my age. I find it easier to talk to older people. I mean, I'm not have super intellectual conversations with them or anything but it's way easier to talk to them. I don't know if it's because of my almost significantly older brothers and their wives or maybe I've just been through some tough times that relate me to them.

And I love talking with people who are older than me. They just have so much to say and wisdom to impart. I feel like I learn so much more from these people I talk with than from my professors or teachers of the past. They've experienced life and know the ups and downs that can come a person's way. Teachers pretty much should keep their personal life and struggles out of their teaching and half of the professors don't really know what they are talking about.

Anyway, these are the basic things to get out of this post:
I don't relate much to people my own age
I relate better to older people who have life experience [kind of feel like my video gamer came out with that]
iPods are expensive MP3 players and you are really paying for the Apple logo.

*Spoiler Alert* < - Maybe, depends on if you really care what I post next.
I'm currently working on a post about all the things people should know upon leaving high school. And
most of the stuff on the list I learned outside of the classroom.

Another *Spoiler Alert*
I may be posting about my one professor in the near future who makes me question the class said professor is attempting to... lead [would be the best word].

P.S. I've also decided I hate people who change their facebook profile pictures at least once a day. It's annoying and the people doing it I notice tend to be annoying people.

No comments:

Post a Comment