Friday, April 22, 2011

"You're graduating? Congratulations!"

Whenever I tell people I'm graduating, the first words to come out of almost everyone's mouth is "congratulations" or "Oh, that's so great."

While that may be exciting in most families... Not so much mine. I'm the 4th child to graduate from college in my family. I didn't go anywhere spectacular [a state college] nor am I graduating with any sort of honors that distinguish me from my other siblings. Basically, I would have to get my Ph.D. before brother #2 to have done something that would make me stand out from the others.

That's not to say that my parents are any less excited though. My mom has the whole day planned out and at least two of my older brothers [and their families] and probably my younger brother will be there. And my mom and my dad and my Tutu [Hawaiian for grandma, I've been told]. And we'll eat at my apartment and it will be a grand ole' time.

But I guess... I'll always have that part of me that will always think "Well, I wasn't the first..."

The other half of the congratulations that I get reminds me that I'm running out of time. There were so many little things I wanted to do before graduation. Yeah, well they aren't happening but who knows. Maybe I'll go back out to school one day and do what's left on my list. Maybe make it a bucket list.

Either way, I'm not usually comforted or proud when people tell me "Congratulations on graduating."

Also, I'll probably post whatever I'm listening to at the end of the post if I feel like it.

Song: Uncharted
Artist[s]: Sara Bareilles

---

Yeah, just saw the title error now. How did I graduate from college again?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...give it six months for those feelings to really sink in. It kinda sucks.

    ReplyDelete