Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Interview 2 - Wait, I thought I was done homework?

So I went to interview 2 today... And getting there was completely insane. I had to drive around the city, which I've never done before in this city. Of course, I didn't actually go through-through the city but it was still complicated. And I'm directionally challenged.

So once I actually got onto the road the interview was at, I got a little lost. Completely missed the turn for the building and didn't realize it. Of course, I got to see some interesting and noteworthy places and I didn't panic, which was nice. I was very much tempted to stop at a Starbucks thought [which was incredibly close] but resisted.

When I got up to the offices... Well, there were a few things I would tell the company. First, your receptionist's shouldn't be away from his or her desk longer than 5 minutes without checking in. I was standing for a few moments at the front desk before someone passing me asked if I was being helped [which happened with several other employees after this].  In the 10 minutes I was sitting in the front desk area, I did not see one person get behind the desk until just before my interviewer came out of his/her office. And then that person just looked around and left again. Ridiculous. Also, I was not the only person to have come into the office wondering what to do.

The interview itself... Was a whirlwind of information. Though my interviewer did say he would be doing most of the talking. The interviewer was a very intense person. There was no light chatter and this person was the no muss, no fuss kind. And I could understand this because the position this person holds is as an executive. It was definitely hard to hold eye contact with the interviewer but that's because I don't really make it all that often. I'm always afraid I'm going to be that creepy person that is talked about later.

Either way, it was a lot of listening and taking in information. And the most interesting part... I got homework. I have to fill out a survey [probably a personality test of sorts] to determine if I'm a good fit for the company. This is suppose to be done within 24 hours of the interview. Then I have other pieces of homework where I have to talk about 3 people I know [it's more elaborate than that] and another which I can't remember. The other parts are essentially "due" when/if I go for the second interview.

Questions I got during this interview:

What is important to you about a company? [traits wise]
What do you know about this company?
What would make you a good sales person? [maybe not phrased quite that way]
Do you have any questions? [this was asked after every bout of talking from the interviewer]

While I won't tell you the details of the survey, I'll tell you if I'll get the second interview. Because I think that survey is the determining factor on that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment