Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Glamour + Youtube + Marketing Education + A lot of Links...

I'm not really a big subscriber to magazines. I've got a subscription to Entertainment Weekly and every once in a while, if someone I like is on the cover, I get a Cosmo. But other than that, magazines are kind of a frivolous purchase to me.

But I had to get this month's Glamour magazine if only for the fact that my favorite vlogger to date, Kandee Johnson, was in it [I'll have a bunch of links at the bottom of this post btw].

Like I've mentioned in the past few posts, I've been kind of in a makeup craze right now. And a big part of that comes from my youtube watching. For a long time, I was just watching some various vloggers who simply talked about their lives or random things [Like Nerimon and Charlieissocoollike] and then moved on to the infamous Vlogbrothers, John and Hank Green [and in the case of Hank, his videogaming channel]. But what you may have noticed... All of these vloggers are males. I wasn't watching an interesting female vloggers...

Until I found MissChievous, also known as Julia. She's a vlogger currently in Switzerland who does some pretty cool things with makeup. I love her videos because not only does she do wearable makeup but she's done some pretty cool designs with it too. She includes what are called "haul" videos which is basically summing up a shopping trip and everything bought during said trip and gives great tutorials. Watching her work is just fun! I also follow her blog but in general, her blog goes into some more depth into what may not have made it into a video or something.

And from there, I just continued searching for other makeup youtubers... And that's how I found Kandee Johnson. I think I was looking up birchbox or makeup haul videos when I came across her. And she's just so awesome! I'll admit, her style is definitely kooky but in a good way. She is just so positive and such a good influence on the beauty youtube community. Her videos are so much fun to watch and her personality just makes it all the more exciting. And you can tell she has fun filming her videos. It doesn't come off as a job to her.

Not only are her videos amazing but she also keeps up with her blogs. She has a more personal blog where she is more open about talking about her kids and life. Of course, her other blog is about all her makeup adventures and contests and whatever else she wants to really post.

So yeah... I just bought the magazine cause she was in it. Kind of reminds me of my teenie bopper days... But this is way cooler [which I probably won't be saying in 10 years time]. Of course, since it was a mega issue, there were lots of other cool and/or interesting articles in it. This magazine also introduced me to a kind of advertising I hadn't heard about before.

So Glamour as this app that you can download for smartphones. The app kind of works like a QR decoder app [I'll probably go into QR codes in another post for those unfamiliar but here is a link for an overview]. Except these were different markings that went away from traditional [which sounds so weird considering they aren't that old] qr codes. They included the facebook logo and around the edges was the coding for the app to actually distinguish which code you were photographing [picture of an example will come later]. You took a picture and you could either be entered into a contest or you'd like a facebook page and be entered into a contest or you could get a code for a special store or product. So they have some awesome direct marketing going to people who want it happening here [which makes everyone a happy camper].

So I'm definitely happy to have gotten this issue. Even if I don't have any uses for "Men Tell All: The #1 Thing He Craves in Bed Tonight Is..." at this point in my life.



[And really only the ones I mentioned above though these vloggers have links below their videos for anything I may have missed and yes... I am kind of nerdy.]
All my Kandee Johnson fixes
Makeup Youtube Channel
More Personal Youtube Channel
Makeup Blog!
More Personal Blog

Alex Day/nerimon
Nerimon Youtube

Charlie McDonnell/charlieissocoollike
charlieissocoollike youtube

Vlogbrothers
Vlogbrother's Youtube
Hank Plays Games


Julia/MissChievous
MissChievous youtube
MissChievous Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment