Thursday, August 4, 2011

That looks like an interesting career...

With my mother being the ever pusher of the family, I've been feeling the pressure to get a full-time job and move out of the house. And I do job search... Just not very seriously and I don't actually apply to everywhere.

Right now, I've kind of been on and off researching becoming an event planner. And I never realized how much there really is to it than after I went through some [not even all] of this website. It's amazing how much actually goes into becoming an event planner.

It's also very eye opening. Like any career, there are the little intricacies for each. And as always, the movies make it look so easy. And it's way more than just planning events like you think. The range of jobs are broader than I suspected. And wedding planning doesn't seem as particularly fortuitous. An inundated market with not enough people using them.

And sounds like it is bloody difficult to get into the business. Of course the woman who made this site has an e-book and now offers a course. But what is refreshing is that she doesn't make any promises like "You'll be able to start your own business by the end of this!" And she was reluctant to even do the course and only has it because the people who have visited her site wanted it.

But I'm still keeping it open. She recommends going through the whole site before making a final decision. And I'd definitely say some of the options are appealing, particularly the ones that involve travel.

Of course, on the reasonable job front, I've been searching around on craigslist at the recommendation of sister-in-law #2. Nothing has really stood out to me at this point. Mostly positions in the city and anything remotely related to marketing is sales. And I get that sales in pretty entry level for marketing, it doesn't really make it an option for me. I'm not the go-getter type when it comes to pushing a sale. The only reason I did well in the one sales class I took was because it was rote and I had plenty of time to do it. Of course, I also knew what exactly was going to happen at the end of my role play project.

-sigh- Well, that's my rant/talk about job hunting this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment