Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Influenster Holiday VoxBox

So, I signed up for this site called Influenster. Basically, you get badges and it helps you to get free stuff. Here's how they describe their site:
Community of trendsetters invited to share their lifestyles and show their influence to qualify for personalized product shipments, special rewards and exclusive deals from the brands they love. Members love testing the latest products, giving insightful feedback, and spreading the word on their favorite finds!
I personally really like it because it requires no money spending from me. I do get that they ask for me to review products in return, but I doubt that would influence how I feel about the products. I also feel like it helps that I get the products from Influenster, which is kind of third party in it all. I say kind of because I'm assuming they go to businesses at this point, to make contributions to their boxes. It will probably take a little longer for them to really have companies asking to put their products in the boxes. This is just how I am feeling about it all at this point and doesn't reflect the actual process.

Overall, I was happy with this box. Definitely worth the time and effort I've put into making this post anyway. And it is always nice to try new products that I wouldn't have really thought about before.

Also, all the links lead to the products websites, not necessarily somewhere you can purchase the product.

X Out Wash-In Treatment - bonus item
This stuff is made by the same people who make Proactive. This is their new one step treatment that contains 8.5% benzoyl peroxide and beads to clean and exfoliate the skin. This isn't the kind of product you can really give a review for unless you have used it for at least a week.

I wasn't really be able to do this much for a little while. I had a bad cold and my nose is pretty raw right now. This cleanser is a bit on the rougher side when it comes to skin and my nose was not having it.

Either way, I have tried it a few times. If you have even remotely sensitive skin, I would not recommend using this as a mask. I had it on for about 3 minutes before I felt burning. Of course, that was probably because my nose was still a little raw. But using it as a cleanser was fine. What is really nice is that if you have a smartphone with a QR reader app, you can watch the daily video. The daily video is something to watch while you are washing your face, since they recommend washing for about 2 minutes.

Since I haven't been using this regularly, I can't really say if this product is really fighting my breakouts. I've had one breakout on my cheek for a while and that doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. I'll have an update at some point if I can get myself into a regular routine.

Pros:
Exfoliates while cleaning
Great size
If Proactive works for you, this probably will too
Good price [$19.95 for one month]

Cons:
A bit harsh for sensitive skin
Still need moisturizer afterwards


imPress Press-On Manicure by Broadway Nails
This is a great idea that I'm surprised no one really came up with it before now. Essentially this are fake nails, with a twist from the traditional: no nail glue. You press the nails on like you would press on a piece of tape.

I tried one of them on today just to get an idea of them. I did have nail polish already on when I put it on. And it did not feel like it was going to come off like main other fake nails feel like [save for when they are done by a professional]. When I did room it, the process was fairly easy. It was a little tough but when I looked at my nail after I took off the fake, I was amazed that the polish was still in-tact.

Unfortunately, while I can get away with nail polish at work, fake nails are a big no-no. So I won't get to really test out the lasting ability of the nails for a while. And of course, this would not replace my usual addiction of Julep [working on the January post after this].

Pros:
No messy with nail polish or nail glue
Doesn't look messy [nail glue can show through some fake nails]
Quick and easy [aka hard to screw up]
Easily available
Inexpensive [$5.99 for colors, $7.99 for patterns]

Cons:
Nicole Scherzinger is the face of the product [I really don't care for her]
No holiday styles
Limited color selection

Softsoap Coconut Scrub Bar Soap
My mom is definitely excited for this one. She doesn't use any special face washes on her face, just bar soap. So right now it is what we are using in our bathroom. In college, it was pretty much the standard liquid soap we would keep in the bathroom. They always smell the best! Basically, this was probably my favorite product in the box.

Pros:
Nice to wash with
Nice to exfoliate with
Doesn't dry out hands
Available everywhere!
Well priced [$4.49 + 5.99 s&h for 4 count at drugstore.com, free s&h if you purchase over $25 worth of stuff]

Cons:
Doesn't smell much like coconut
Exfoliants are beneath initial surface of bar


Montagne Jeunesse Face Mask
I always love trying new face masks. The last two masks I've gotten from Birchbox and loved them both. I haven't actually tried the mask yet. Between all the face products I've had to try and being sick [making me lazy], I simply have not had the time or energy. I'm hoping to maybe use it tonight or tomorrow.

I got the Juiced Cucumber Peel Off Masque, which makes me hesitant to use it. I bought a similar product [different brand] a while ago... And it is a mess. After using this other product, I feel like I have to re-wash my face. And peeling it off was a nightmare. Hopefully Montagne Jeunesse's version will be easier to peel and not leave my face yucky.

Pros:
Vegetarian/Animal friendly product!
Cute sample packaging

Cons:
One time use sample [I like at least 2 tries before I make a decision on something like a mask]
Picture of girl with mask is kind of creepy



New York Color [NYC] Liquid Lip Shine
If you have read my previous posts, you know I don't care much for lip products, particularly glosses. They are usually too sticky and make me want to take them off immediately. So far, I am not having that problem with this product. I got it in the shade Nude York City, so it's pretty sheer. I still probably won't wear it much but it will probably be the go-to lipgloss should I choose.

Pros:
Not super sticky
Would actually wear this product out

Cons:
Doesn't make me a fan of lipgloss
Don't go out enough to warrant wearing it


Mentos Pure Fresh Gum
Honestly, you generally can't go wrong with a Mentos products. I don't really buy gum or mints that often, so this was definitely a nice surprise in my box. I don't really have much to say about it because gum has never been high on my purchases. As for whether or not I'll consider it over some other gums, definitely.

Pros:
Minty fresh!

Cons:
I always need 2 pieces of gum


Larabar
I got this bar in the Coconut Creme Pie flavor and it was delicious. I don't know if any of the local stores have it but I'm going to be on the lookout.

Pros:
Delicious
Simple ingredients [they only use a max of 9 ingredients]
Got a coupon for $1.00 off two

Cons:
Pricey on website [Including shipping, $33.40 per 16 bars/2.09 per bar]
Website does not contain a store finder [though apparently you can get a limited selection at Walmart or Target]

----


Also, I should note that Influenster is more exclusive as of 2012. I don't know exactly when this is going to happen. You will need to get invited, so if you still can, I'd recommend signing up as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment