Thursday, January 12, 2012

Birchbox January 2012


Birchbox January 2012 - Clarity
`
In my opinion, Birchbox has just convinced me to stay another month. I know I was questioning getting rid of it in my last post but this is the best Birchbox I have gotten yet just by looking at the products inside without trying. For the most part, these are all products that will be used.


stila - Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Lionfish
It's time to put down the black liner. This colorful pigment makes eyes stand out and stays put for hours
It is like the universe heard me and decided to give me this eyeliner. I've been meaning to get a new one because I think my old L'Oreal one has been making my eyes red when I wear my contacts. While I've since determine that is not the case [thinking it's the mascara], I was still interested in trying something else. For the most part, I was down to this stila liner and the Urban Decay glide-on pencil. The best part about this? It's a full sized eye liner which retails for $20. And yes, there are sample sized eye liners out there that are tiny and you can get maybe 3-4 uses out of them.

And I can't believe I wrote all that without mentioning anything about the color. Lionfish is completely usable as an every day kind of liner. It is a dark brown-bronze color that is very nice without being too out of the box. I currently use brown eye liner, so this isn't too far off. But it has a nice shininess to it. Not only that, but having test it on my hand, it seems like it is going to last throughout the day and not smudge as much as my current eye liner. I do find that I have to use a very light hand with this liner. I usually do a very light liner line, especially if I'm not using mascara. I can see myself unintentionally using way too much at once.

Origins - Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash
What if your skin has dry patches and oily spots? Alleviate both concerns with this multi-tasking cleanser 
I have been eyeing Origins products for quite some time now. I'm on one of my many beauty quests to find the perfect face wash for me. So far, nothing has blown me out of the water yet but I had seen MissGlamorazzi had referred to this product in a few videos. So I'm hoping that this product does a good job. Since I'm currently trying to use more X-Out Wash-In Treatment, I won't get to try this one out too soon.

Archipelago - Pomegranate Body Soap
Laced with good-for-you pomegranate extracts, this triple-milled soap smells divine and leaves skin feeling clean, not stripped
And my transition from peppermint smells to pomegranate smells continue [though I'm still searching for the perfect peppermint candle]. While this is not nearly as heavily fragrant as the Julep Body Crème or the Body Scrub, it still smells nice and you get the same notes. To make it stand out a little from the competition, there is a nice little design crafted into the soap bar. A very nice touch but I probably would not consider buying this product after this unless it performs miracles [which hey, that could happen]. It's pricey at $12.50, especially when there are many soap options out there at more reasonable prices.

Again, the family is currently still working our way through the Softsoap coconut scrub bar so it may be a bit before it gets used.

Juicy Couture - Juicy Couture
Juicy's signature fragrance is a blend of sweet floral notes. Sophisticated and feminine, it's perfect for day or night
This is the product I'm least excited about. As I've mentioned, I don't really use much perfume. This hasn't changed much. When I do use perfume, it is either my sample of Harvey Prince's Eau Flirt or my DKNY Be Delicious or Be Delicious Fresh Blossom [I have the two sided roller ball]. The Juicy Couture scent is a little bit strong to me and bit like traditional perfume [which I have no interest in]. After having it on my wrists for a little while, it gets lighter and smells better. I don't know how much I'm going to use this product seeing as I still have quite a few perfume samples lying around.

Lärabar - Mini Bar in Carrot Cake
You won't find any artificial fillers in these natural bars: just dried fruits, nuts, and other wholesome ingredients. They're as tasty as they are healthy
Is it weird that I was actually really happy that this was in my Birchbox? If you read my Influenster Holiday Voxbox post, you'll know I got the Lärabar in Coconut Creme Pie and it was so good! Also, I still have my coupon, so having tried more kinds will help me choose. ^_^ I think I'm going to throw this in my bag for tomorrow to eat on my break. Nom nom nom!

Also, while I have found Lärabars in one of my 3 local grocery stores, they are in limited varieties. Dx I got to quick look at them at Target, who seems to have the biggest selection. However, that is kind of far to be going for a snack. I still have one more local grocery store to check out so I'll keep up my hopes. Fingers crossed!

Birchbox Magnet
Also got a little Birchbox magnet to put on my fridge [when I move out of here that is]. Cute but I don't think it could really hold up a piece of paper like they suggested on the back of the next card I got from them.

List of their favorite mind, body and soul detoxes
 Basically, this is just a few little tips the team wanted to include in each box. Just a nice little touch to find.


Overall, definitely happy with this box. I did kind of have one little issue with the box. With every box, they like to wrap a few of the items together in more tissue paper and a small little ribbon. Well, they decided to wrap the Lärabar in with the Juicy Couture perfume... Just saying, that if you are going to put a food item with beauty products, don't put it super close to a super fragrant product. It's like if you buy those little sheets for the dryer, keep them in a separate bag from your food. You want your food to smell like food, not perfume.

---

Much better pictures this time in my opinion! I used natural light and my cellphone. Also, the background for all the products is the Birchbox box and the tissue paper that comes in it. Definitely going to keep working on my cellphone photography skills though.

No comments:

Post a Comment