Sunday, January 1, 2012

Julep Box of Mystery

As I mentioned before, I ordered a Julep Box of Mystery. Basically, during one of the Julep sale days [there was 5 total], they were selling the box of mystery for $19.99 [normally $60]. And you were assured that you would get at least $60 in Julep stuff [including at least 2 polishes]. I still had one $15 voucher left and thought "How can I pass up this deal!" So I got the box of mystery for just $4.99!

And it is the best investment into Julep I have made yet! I wish I had bought a second one [and it was tempting when they released a second batch of these boxes for $19.99 as well]. I also got lucky because none of my colors were duplicates of what I already have [though I wouldn't say no to another Sienna].

Here are the things I've already talked about in previous Julep posts, so I won't go into detail about/post pictures of them [links are to the item on Julep's website]:

Fast drying top coat
I actually have been using this since I got it. It works nicely, like all the Julep polishes. But honestly, this fast drying top coat doesn't do anything amazing. Read as: Not worth the price.

Essential Cuticle Oil
This stuff still smells so good to me! I need to get into the habit of using it more.

Peacock Nail Appliques
I was so excited to see this in my box! Because it means that maybe I can use one of them sometime soon without being so afraid of wasting it.


Vera
Vera appears to be a much lighter brown than Olivia. It looks like it would be really nice if I want to do some nail art like trees. I'll probably wait a little while before using this on my nails. Maybe in combination with Charlotte.
Charlotte
I don't own any bright purples but I think this will be a really nice color for spring. Love pastels in the spring. Though overall, I'm more of a dark polish lover. I'm thinking that using this with some of my other purples when I finally decide to try marbling.

Mandy
Way pinker than this picture. It looks way too orange in this picture. Kind of a darker than bubble gum look.  This would also probably go really well marbled with Charlotte.

Ellen
Ellen definitely comes off as red in the bottle. Like bright bold red. But once I pulled the brush out of the container, it looked like it would come off as a reddish pink. Very berry-ish like Julep describes.
Lucy
The bottle is definitely a bit deceptive. When I first looked at Lucy, I though it was another brown. It's a pretty deep, burgundy color. It's a tad more purple than it is red when in the light. I don't think I'll get a real good idea of what it looks like until I see it on my nails. I'm thinking of investing in a nail wheel to swatch all my polishes.

Gloria
I'll try to get a picture of this one in the bottle. It would seem as though Gloria is not on the Julep website. Maybe a discontinued color? Anyway, this is a orange pink color. Kind of coral in the bottle. Another spring color. I'm thinking these colors may have been from their spring line and they are cleaning house with the mystery box.

Pout Plumping Lip Gloss in Invite
Going to be very honest: I am so glad I decided not to get this in a Maven box. I'm not into lip plumping lip glosses even more so than regular lip glosses. I don't feel like I need it nor do I care for the almost painful tingling that comes with these products. I usually can't keep it on long enough to know what it looks like.

Crystal Nail File
I don't think I can go back to the throwaway nail files anymore. I won a beautiful glass nail file in a contest run by Sweet Libertine a while ago and it's absolutely amazing. I haven't gotten to use this nail file yet but I'm sure it's going to be good.

I also got another glitter pot that is silver and chunky. Dunno if I'm going to really use this. I could do the gold glitter because it was very tiny and I knew it wouldn't come off. This glitter pot is a bit too big and I wouldn't use big glitter on my toes. I also got a glitter pot of little pink stars. Dunno if I'll ever use those either but we'll see. They're a bit more usable since they are flat.

Anyway, time for the dramatic price reveal! So the total value for my box was... $153.99! Holy smokes that is a lot of savings!

---

I'm going to try to post what is on my nails every time I post about nail polish. Maybe I'll even take pictures but again, my pictures are done with my camera phone. It's not all that great in quality.

Currently on nails:
Incoco Nail Applique in Showstopper* [on ring fingers]
Julep's Michelle

*This isn't the exact pattern. My version doesn't have nearly as many of the little sequins. I got this one with one of my Birchboxes.

---

Also, still working on the Holiday VoxBox piece. Hoping to post it sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment