Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Birchbox - December 2011


Straight up, I'm going to tell you I wasn't particularly impressed with this box. Mostly because these items are of similar function to products I've gotten in the past few months I've gotten Birchbox. I also haven't been incredible impressed with these last 2 months products compared to the first two months products I've gotten. I'm going to see what I get next month and I'll probably be cancelling my subscription if I'm still not really impressed.

Another problem I'm finding: I see what other people got in their boxes and like it way better. Like this month, they were offering Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo. I would have loved to have gotten that. Not only that, but Birchbox was doing a lot of posting about having a party with them and how excited they were for the product. And then I don't get it... Definitely a let down when you get all this hype. I'm going to edit my profile and hopefully, my items next month will be more worthwhile...
___

Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional
Camouflage visible pores with this velvety face primer. The translucent formula works wonder beneath makeup
Similar Birchbox Item: Laura Gellar Spackle Tinted Under Makeup Primer in Bronze
I think Laura Gellar ruined me for all other face primers. Everything else seems to pale in comparison. I tried this primer and it was... Just not right. It comes out of the tube creamy but when you actually rub it in, it is dry like a powder... Like a really dry powder. And my face is dry enough as it is. Basically, this product actually makes my foundation kind of flake-y. Not cool. Of course this was after one use and I'll give it one more shot... But honestly, I'm reluctant.

Harvey Prince Yogini
Take a deep breath and relax with this calming scent. Notes of sandalwood, Egyptian myrrh, and grapefruit will help you feel as good as you smell.
Similar Birchbox Item: Harvey Prince Eau Flirt
When I saw this in my box, I was a little excited. I loved Eau Flirt [from my September box] and I had been considering buy it on the Harvey Prince website [because it came with a discount code for 10% off: bewitched]. I had also seen that they had come out with this scent recently and was curious. You can only purchase all of the Harvey Prince line at their website or a select few at the Birchbox site. It's the big problem I have with them. I prefer to smell the scent before buying it. You can buy a sample size for $12 on the Harvey Prince website but still, I don't want to invest $12 on a scent I may not like.

Either way, I wasn't blown away by Yogini. It is a bit more of a musky scent then I prefer. It wasn't a bad smell, just not me. 

Codes for Harvey Prince:
bewitched - 10% off your order
beautifulyou - 10% off your order
flirtress - 20% off your order



Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Birchbox Pink
We teamed up with one of our favorite brands to create this custom fuchsia shade. Apply one coat for semi-sheer pigment, or build it for a hot pink pout.
Similar Birchbox Item: Anastasia Beverly Hills HydraFull Gloss
And yet another lipgloss to add to the collection. As I'm said multiple time, not a big lipgloss girl. Though I do have to say I like this one much better than the last one I got. This one has a nicer consistency and isn't nearly as sticky as the Anastasia. Also, it has a normal applicator for a lipgloss. I do think it is cool that Birchbox worked with Jouer to make their own color.

Olie Biologique 004 Huile Moderne
Five organic essential oils - including argan, rosehip, and bergamot - team up to moisturize face, body and hair. A true superhero product for the winter months.

Similar Birchbox Item: Amika Obliphica Hair Treatment 

While they do say that you can use this to moisturize your body and face, I doubt I'll use it that much for that purpose. I'm not keen on super oily products on my skin. Drives me completely crazy. Though it is perfect for under my nose right now. I've a bit of a cold and it actually relieved the soreness and pain for a bit. Aside from that, I think I'll be using this in the ends of my hair... Which is why I'm comparing this to my Amika product. 

The application is weird for this one. While I'm not crazy about pouring the oil in my hand like the Amika, I'm not crazy about it being in a spray format. I don't know if the full size is spray, but it's just a little awkward for me to use.

ShowStoppers Designer Fashion Tape
Celeb stylists swear by these double-sided tape strips, which will ensure that your party dress stays perfectly in place

I actually already have a product like this. It is basically double-sided sticky tape that keeps things in place when it comes to your clothes. Such when you have a special occasion to attend and don't want anything showing. My only big issue is that with this kind of product, they always recommend pre-testing it in order to make sure you aren't allergic to it... But you only get 2 strips. Doesn't really work all that good if you have to waste some.

EBOOST Orange Natural Energy Booster
Bounce back post-party with this tangy citrus energy booster, packed with a mega-dose of nutrients
Um... Yeah, this was considered to be one of my bonus/lifestyle items [along with the ShowStoppers]. It's definitely interesting. I don't take any vitamin supplements myself. I'm kind of weird about taking things like vitamins straight up or medicines. But it looks like I'll definitely be using this sometime soon. I've got a head cold that is killing me right now and I need to get better ASAP. While the sample size is suppose to be put into 8 ounces of water [who really drinks 8 ounces], I'll probably be putting it into more and hopefully it won't taste bleh.

___

Side note, I got my Julep Box of Mystery! Can't wait to write a post about what I got. Let me tell you, this was a pretty awesome box! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment